Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Society is Losing it's Right to Innocence

As I skimmed through Austin American Statesman in search for my next victim I came across an editorial called “I am the U.S. and I’m addicted to drugs” written by the editorial board, which in turn didn’t become anything like a victim, instead an ally.

This article addresses the rising difficulty with drug and gun trafficking and the violence it promotes. It attracted my attention because it made me think about the small, mountain town in southern New Mexico that I was raised in. You may know it as Ruidoso, but I and everyone living there know it as Rumordoso. As I think about it, this synonym-like and disturbing word that has been mimicked throughout the small town, hardly justifies the true essence of Ruidoso. Behind it’s beautiful mountains, pine trees, ski resort, and neighboring reservations hides a world hugely affected by drugs, primarily cocaine, marijuana, and methamphetamine.

As each year went by (while I attended school), the influence of these drugs became more and more severe. I remember when I was in 8th grade and the introduction of marijuana shocked me and left me at unease; by my sophomore year, the mention of marijuana became so common that it left me with no bruises. That year (sophomore year) was also the same year cocaine began to flourish amongst my classmates and peers, as well as ecstasy, mushrooms, you name it. Sure enough, by my junior year, it became so common that the word cocaine had no meaning anymore. That year, methamphetamine expanded and drugs began to reach out to kids as young as eight years old.

This small town lies just 3 hours away from El Paso, Texas and about 3.5 hours from Juarez, Mexico.

As I have mentioned, this article became my ally. By this, I am simply saying that I 120% agree with their claim: “...it is becoming increasingly obvious that elected leaders in the three countries (U.S., Canada, and Mexico) need to take a good, hard look at fundamental policy shifts in confronting the (illegal) drug and gun trade.” From this, I have to incur that their intended audience are not necessarily liberals or conservatives, but people in touch with and worried about the long-term affects of drug trafficking and the cruel and unjust repercussions it has on the innocence of children. Mexico is now known as the new Colombia. Because our borders touch, this is and can take a larger toll on Texas and the United States. Therefore, it is our duty to help President Calderon and do whatever it takes to stop this problem.

The editorial board addresses both sides of the issue--that of gun rights groups and that of people opposing a person’s gun right. This article claims that the manner has “already provoked a strong reaction from gun rights groups that threaten a noisy fight against anything they consider a threat to the Second Amendment,” however, “…an argument that the Second Amendment protects illegal gun trade would be a huge leap in both faith and logic.” In my opinion, there is a lot of logic in this statement. There is a very distinct difference between owning a gun for defense purposes, hidden away in the drawer of your bedside table, than owning it for attack and power.

The evidence of this article’s claim lies in all the towns neighboring these borders. I graduated witnessing many close friends becoming addicted, dropping out of high school, and completely giving up. This is a step we MUST take. We owe it to our future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment