Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Demand for the Fine Arts

In the Objective 4 of the Texas Education Code states that, “A well-balanced and appropriate curriculum will be provided to all students,” and in Chapter 28, “Each district shall ensure that all children in the district participate actively in a balanced curriculum designed to meet individual needs.” The Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills defines the guidelines of a student’s curriculum for every academic subject and grade level. The State Board of Education is required to see that all school districts follow the guidelines placed by the TEKS. Fine arts courses, known as Enrichment courses (not Foundation courses, such as math and science), which include dance, music, art, and theatre are also incorporated into the guidelines and are required by law that all school districts must deliver instruction on all subjects—Foundation courses as well as Enrichment courses.

To be honest, I looked this up with very pessimistic assumptions. I am very surprised that the law does require Texas school districts to offer classes in fine arts. However, I am going to have to sound ungrateful: I don’t believe their requirement is enough.

I promise you. I am not only speaking from the fact that I, myself am a musician and a photographer. I am not only saying that because I, myself am in love with music and photography. But I am saying it because I really do believe that there is more to music, art, dance, and theatre that a lot of people don’t realize. The arts do not serve only as a means of performing or entertaining others, but it is also a perfect outlet. All of it, and most commonly music, can be very therapeutic.

First, imagine yourself--sitting alone. This can be anywhere: your home, car, outside. Now, you decide to play some music. Again, this can be through anything: the TV, your CD player, an Ipod, etc. What did you choose? And how did it make you feel? My guess is, you probably picked your favorite genre(s) of music, whether it is a song that relaxes you or one that is going to get you up on your feet. By this I mean—I will use myself for an example. I love to sing musicals and classical music. I put on hip hop to wake myself up and country when I’m simply neutral. For me to sleep, however, I cannot have music playing of any sort because all my mind wants to do is think about it—some would say that, that comes with being a musician. Anyway, that is what I mean by different genres or song choices within the same genre. However, coming from a different angle, maybe you had no intentions of what kind of feeling you wanted to evoke within yourself. Regardless, after you listen you are left with a particular mood or feeling. What do you feel?

Now, imagine if you could play these songs on any instrument or sing. When I practice or when I’m out with my camera, those are the only times that my mind is peaceful, with only one thought in it.

Third, the arts offer passion. Everyone needs to feel passionate about something, it is not healthy otherwise. From passion, comes motivation and hours of practice. For some, these hours of practice can mean keeping them off the streets and causing hazard to themselves or to those around them.

This, among many other reasons, is why I feel that Texas and every other state in the nation, as well as every country in our world need to demand and ensure that people, and especially children, receive more formal art instruction in their life. Because the most important period to our brain development is at the early ages of 2, art should be introduced just as early, if not earlier. It should also be heavily continued through pre-school, elementary, middle school, and high school. I am not saying that everyone will fall in love with music, dance, theater, and art; however, this allows them with a greater chance of finding their own passion and happiness.

It couldn’t hurt. After all, we can spend $17 million on a house for the governor. Right?

1 comment:

  1. In a classmate blog titled Texas, O Texas I found an article that caught my attention because it was arguing that the Texas school districts doesn't have a strong requirement for fine art classes.

    The article starting emphasizing the Texas Education Code that States that, “A well-balanced and appropriate curriculum will be provided to all students,” and “Each district shall ensure that all children in the district participate actively in a balanced curriculum designed to meet individual needs.” But Fine arts courses, known as Enrichment courses (not Foundation courses, such as math and science), which include dance, music, art, and theatre are also incorporated into the guidelines and are required by law that all school districts must deliver instruction on all subjects.

    The author main argument comes from personal passion for the Arts. The author a musician and Photographer argues that there is more to Arts courses than what people realize and The arts do not serve only as a means of performing or entertaining others, but it is also a perfect outlet. All of it, and most commonly music, can be very therapeutic.

    I have to agree with my colleague because in my personal opinion there is more to the Arts than just being entertaining. Art classes recreate the mind, distressful the body, and more importantly it generates creativity. I think of music as a language that has its own vocabulary, own way of expression. It is just like math but more fun!

    I am grateful to the Arts because thanks to all those boring classes on theater, dance, and music I was required to take in school I developed a passion and an unknown talent for Music. I am now a professional musician and have gotten to visit many places, and play with so many great musicians I admired. Most importantly for me, I get to touch many people's life by playing my instrument.

    The author closed the article stating that that Texas and every other state in the nation, as well as every country in our world need to demand and ensure that people, and especially children, receive more formal art instruction in their life. It should also be heavily continued through pre-school, elementary, middle school, and high school.

    ReplyDelete